Wednesday, April 23, 2014

That’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever done for me.

When you have a newborn, a paradigm shift occurs. I have new thoughts about love, and sacrifice, and I have new ideas about what’s romantic.

It was the middle of the night, and Hyrum was crying. I was feeling exhausted. When I’m tired my mind begins playing tricks on me, probably to help me get more sleep. I’ll hear the baby crying, and then in my dream I’ll be nursing him or holding him. I am often confused as to why he’s still crying until I wake up. It was one of those nights. After hearing the baby cry I said, “Uh! I just fed him,” to which Joseph replied, “No you didn't, its been hours.”

I got up and groggily fed my baby. After Hyrum was finished eating he was still fussy and having trouble getting to sleep, and I was at my wits end. At about 3 am I walked into our bedroom with my crying baby and handed him to Joseph. I climbed into bed as Joseph climbed out. I expected to be awake again in 2 hours, but I woke up the next morning at 7:30 am feeling surprisingly rested. As I opened my bedroom door, I was met by the most beautiful sight. A pair of darling boys. Behind his glasses my husband’s brown eyes were soft and sleepy. In his arms, was my sweet baby boy smiling to greet the morning. Joseph whispered, “Hey, Mama.” I hugged them both. I think that’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever done for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment