Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hyrum's First Camping Trip

In our attempts to introduce Hyrum to the finer things in life we've pushed him out of his comfort zone on more than one occasion. We took him on his first family bike ride a few weeks ago. He sat in a bike trailer attached to Joseph's bicycle and screamed! The. Entire. Time. "Forced family fun" is a real thing.

Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive about Hyrum's first camping trip, but he surprised me by being an excellent camping companion. He was happy to be outside and enjoyed playing in the grass and the dirt. He was excited about the tent, and he actually slept pretty well. I was quite pleased.



Camping is so fun. I love sitting around the campfire. I love talking to friends and telling stories. I love singing camp songs. I love how food always tastes more delicious when camping. I love snuggling up by the fire in a sweatshirt. I love how brightly the stars shine when electric lights aren't there to dim them. I love being in nature with the people I love. 








Don't get me wrong, camping has it's downsides. In the Midwest, mosquitoes are a big one. We had a mosquito in our tent with us, and he managed to take a bite out of everyone including poor little Hyrum. Collateral damage.



We camped near Memphis Lake, which is about halfway between Lincoln and Omaha. It's not the mountains, but it was beautiful in a mid-westy kind of way. 

It is also about 10 minutes from the outlet malls. We definitely stopped by the Nike outlet on our way home in all our camping glory. 



5 comments:

  1. I love the socks on his hands. He is so resourceful in keeping himself warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds in"tense". (wink wink) You have an adorable family!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another well written post. Glad you're exposing Hyrum to life's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved "collateral damage" and Joseph's comment about the socks. I was laughing a ton.

    ReplyDelete